Sacramento DUI Attorney
Defending Drunk Drivers in Sacramento, CA
Have you or a loved one been arrested for DUI (driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol) in Sacramento? If so, you’ll need an experienced Sacramento DUI lawyer who will protect your Constitutional rights and defend you against the suspension of your driving privileges and a possible criminal conviction. John Campanella is a veteran DUI defense attorney who is dedicated to the aggressive protection and personalized counsel to clients in Sacramento and surrounding areas who have been accused of any drunk driving offenses, whether a lesser first time DUI offense across the entire spectrum including felony DUI and vehicular manslaughter.
At the Law Office of John Campanella, you will receive the counsel and formidable representation that you’ll need when facing DUI charges. We will represent you in criminal court as well as at your administrative DMV hearing with CA Department of Motor Vehicles. Our experience has shown that we are able to defend your case more effectively, with the best possible outcome, when we represent you in both of these actions.
Your initial client consultation with Sacramento DUI attorney John Campanella is free. We welcome you to call us today at (877) DUI-JOHN (877-384-5646), or contact us online for a free case evaluation. Don’t be tempted to accept a plea bargain or submit to being questioned without first seeking the advice of a competent lawyer.
The Process of a Sacramento DUI Arrest
A DUI arrest in Sacramento will proceed along these general steps:
- A law enforcement officer on patrol sees a driver who is driving suspiciously or who violates a traffic law. The officer may observe the driver speeding or driving too slowly, recklessly or in other ways behaving erratically. In all of these cases, the behavior may indicate that person’s driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
- The police officer will initiate a traffic stop and will approach the vehicle.
- When the officer reaches the driver, she/he will ask for license and registration. The officer will also scan for visible signs of DUI, such as slurred or slow speech or bloodshot eyes. The officer likely will ask the driver if she/he has had any drinks, how many, where did the drinking occur, where is the driver’s destination, etc.
- Depending on what behaviors are observed at the initial traffic stop, the detaining officer might ask the driver to get out of the vehicle and perform field sobriety testing (FST). These standardized tests are used to determine the mental and physical agility of a driver and may include the Walk & Turn, Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus or the One Leg Stand.
- How the driver performs in the FST, as well as other behaviors including how she/he answers the officer’s questions, will likely make the difference in whether or not the officer will arrest for DUI.
- After the arrest is when the Sacramento enforcement officer might ask the driver to take a breath test or a blood test so that her/his blood alcohol concentration (BAC) can be measured, after which the driver will face the criminal charge of DUI.
What is Driving Under the Influence (DUI)?
DUI in California is usually a misdemeanor offense involving a driver who operates a motor vehicle while she/he is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. To qualify for “under the influence” in California, the driver must possess a blood alcohol level of .08% or more or have an impairment of mental or physical abilities due to drugs and/or alcohol. Law enforcement and the office of District Attorney will use information gathered during field sobriety testing and blood test or breathalyzer test results in their efforts to prove DUI.
Why Hire a Sacramento DUI Defense Attorney?
If you have been charged with DUI in Sacramento, you may be wondering if you should contact an attorney. This is a crucial issue for your consideration. We cannot overstate the importance of consulting with a Sacramento DUI lawyer as soon as possible. When you are arrested and charged with DUI, your driver’s license will be confiscated and you will receive a Notice of Suspension as a temporary driver’s license. If you fail or refuse a breath or blood test, California DMV will initiate the process of suspending your license automatically. You have only 10 days in which to contact the DMV’s Drivers’ Safety Office if you wish to challenge the license suspension, or your privileges will be suspended regardless.
The California DMV hearing and your criminal proceeding are distinctly separate parts of your DUI accusations. Depending on the outcome of your DMV hearing, you could lose your driver’s license even if you are later found not guilty of DUI. Your attorney will be able to give you the best possible outcome at your DMV hearing by using his experience and knowledge of the court process and California driving laws. If you want to keep your license, contact an expert DUI lawyer immediately so that you may know your options and discover how your rights may be preserved at the DMV hearing.
This is just a single benefit of working with a knowledgeable DUI lawyer. You will also be facing criminal DUI charges. You could be risking financial penalties, community service time, counseling, requisite alcohol/drug treatment and even prison time. This process follows legal steps, and both the prosecution and law enforcement are experienced in building DUI cases. Your Sacramento DUI attorney will be the only person at your side, and the only one who can stand between you and a possible conviction, DUI penalties, a criminal conviction and the limits and effects it can have on your personal and professional life.
Contact a Sacramento DUI Defense Lawyer Today!
A criminal conviction can create many problems for you. It’s vital that you contact an experienced lawyer who will fight for your rights and who will see that you do not suffer needlessly due to aggressive punishment or overly harsh penalties. DUI crimes have serious consequences and are dealt with harshly by law enforcement. Even if it’s your first time, you should not look for leniency because of the serious nature of the charges.
For compelling, experienced legal defense and thoughful counsel, contact the Law Office of John Campanella today. We stand at your side in fighting your DUI charges and will provide the skilled representation you deserve.