Contact Us Today! (916) 498-8460

DMV Info and Links

How do I get a copy of my California Driving Record?

Your DMV record is available to you during normal working hours. You may obtain a copy of your California driving license/identification card and/or vehicle/vessel registration information by:

  • Visiting your local DMV office (make an appointment for
    faster service)
  • Completing a Request for Driver Record Information form
    INF 1125
  • Showing identification
  • Paying the $5 fee

If going into a local field office is not convenient for you or you are out of state, you may request your record by mail. Complete theINF 1125 form available on this web site or prepare a written request, including your name, date of birth, social security number, California driver license number, and your signature, along with a check or money order for $5, and mail to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Office of Information Services
Public Operations Unit G199
P. O. BOX 944247
Sacramento, California 94244-2470

DMV can also provide you a copy of your spouse or minor children's record as long as they are living at the same address. The INF 70D/70R Request for Driver License/Identification Card or the Request for Vehicle/Vessel Registration form must be completed and submitted with the appropriate fee (provided on the form) for each request.

If a spouse or child is not living at the same address, please see “How to get a copy of someone else's driver license, ID card, vehicle or vessel record?

The information above is provided courtesy of the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

How long does DMV report actions or convictions on driver license records for my Sacramento DUI?

  • Most convictions of traffic offenses, such as hit and run, reckless driving, and driving under the influence (DUI) will remain on your record for 7 years from the violation date and count as 2 points.
  • Most other traffic offense convictions will remain on your record for 3 years from the violation date and count as 1 point.
  • Accidents are reported for 3 years from the accident date. If you are found to be at fault, the accident normally counts as 1 point.
  • Actions taken against your driving privilege, such as a suspension or revocation due to a DUI or a failure to provide proof of financial responsibility, will be reported for 3 years from the proof termination date or the reinstatement date, whichever is earlier.
  • A Failure To Appear for DUI offenses will be reported for 10 years from the violation date. All other Failure To Appears and Failure to Pay fines will be reported for 5 years from the violation date.

For further information refer to Retention of Driver Record Information.

See negligent operator violation point count to find out how violation points affect your driving privilege.

The information above is provided courtesy of the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

Available 24/7

The Law Office of John Campanella is available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please call today at 916-498-8460 for a free consultation to go over the details of your case.